Sunday, June 6, 2010

Oh, My Aching Back

Sometimes I think aches and pains come with the territory once birthdays start swooshing by with the speed of light. I’m pretty adept at taking my normal bodily owies in stride, but when new ones crop up, I get a bit testy.

It seems my back is always tense and a little sore. A good massage makes me feel all better and relaxs those tight muscles in my shoulders and neck. About a week ago, I was trying to get comfortable to read a novel and I just couldn’t seem to get myself propped up on the pillows to get as comfy as I wanted. It was a little annoying that my back didn’t feel the best, but nothing that made me lose any sleep.

As the week progressed, I noticed the pain was getting a little worse and was in the middle of my back. I guess everything goes south with age—including my back pain.

By Friday, if I moved wrong it took my breath away and the pain was harder to ignore. Well, since I only worked two days last week, I didn’t want to take time off to sit in a doctor’s office. I’d never had anything like this before, so I was in hopes that if I ignored the pain, it might just go away.

Of course, anything gets worse on the weekend when the only option is tough it out or go to the emergency room. Saturday, I moaned and groaned, used the heat pad, and popped a few extra-strength ibuprofen.

The good news is, today the pain is pretty much gone. At least, no stabbing pains. To be on the safe side, I’m planning on a little more heat pad therapy and ibuprofen, and practice my ignoring techniques.

Copyright (c) June 2010 L. S. Fisher
http://boomerobics.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment