Friday, April 23, 2010

Silly Songs of the Sixties

One time I saw a CD called “Silly Songs” and was a tiny bit annoyed when I realized every song was from the sixties. I’m telling you, we didn’t think those songs were so silly when they came out. In fact, some of those “Silly Songs” bring back a lot of emotions. I won’t say they are all happy, but at least some of them are.

One of the silly songs on the CD was “Yellow Submarine.” Now how could anyone consider the Beatles to be silly? We are talking about THE Beatles, after all. Obviously, this song was selected by someone who didn’t remember the screaming, yelling, fainting, obsessing, and idolization from your average run-of-the-mill Beatlemaniac. Nope, anyone with those memories wouldn’t dare call anything performed by the Beatles a silly song.

I can’t remember what other songs were on that CD, but I can think of a few that might actually qualify as a bit “crazy” as one Web site calls it. Crazy is more appropriate for songs like “Little Red Riding Hood” or “Wild Thing.” I actually thought the real name of “Wild Thing” should be “Wild Thang” since that is exactly how the Troggs sang it. Maybe the prize should go to “Tip Toe Thru the Tulips.” It’s a mystery how or why that was ever a hit. And yes, it was pretty darn goofy. You kinda had to be there to appreciate “Who Put the Bomp in the Bomp, Bomp, Bomp.” I bet I'm not the only boomer who wants to dance everytime that song comes on the radio.

Okay, I’ll concede crazy, but silly? Not as long as we boomers can sing all the lyrics to “Tie Me Kangaroo Down.”

No comments:

Post a Comment